Women in the Fire Service UK (WFS) was set up in the 1990s as a self-help group. Our members of all genders, come from all roles across the Fire and Rescue Service – from ﬁreﬁghters and control staff, administrative and support staff and senior officers, to members of airport, defence and works ﬁre services.
Since its formation, the membership have sought to influence the equality agenda, taking active roles in research, for example into women’s ﬁt ﬁre kit, supporting positive action initiatives, working with the government in nationwide campaigns for recruitment and playing a part in national groups with other stakeholders. We are recognised nationally, currently holding a seat on the Fire Sector Federation, amongst other inputs to the local and national agenda.
Our purpose statement
“Enabling and inspiring confident and successful women to build a more progressive Fire and Rescue Service.”
Working together • Future focused • Sharing strengths
- To enable women to reach their full potential
- To be a recognised resource in every UK Fire and Rescue Service
- To support gender equality in the UK and overseas
- To nurture and encourage role models – ‘if she can see it, she can be it’
- To improve recruitment, retention and progression of women in the fire service