Women in the Fire Service UK (WFS) recognises that our activities impact upon the environment both through its internal and external operations, service development, and through its influence on our wider community. We acknowledge the connection between the changing climate and other environmental crises such as water shortages, as well as major damage being caused to our natural ecosystems.
We recognise our responsibility to reduce our carbon footprint and formally commit to taking this step towards being a more environmentally responsible organisation.
To take this forward the National Executive Committee (NEC) commit to the following actions:
- To make both employees of WFS and NEC members aware of our statement of intent.
- To educate the NEC in best practice and provide suitable means to allow them to minimise both their personal environmental impact and that of WFS as a whole.
- To adopt where practicable methods of working which reduce or eliminate waste.
- To seek to reduce where possible work-related travel by employees and committee members, as far as is reasonably practicable.
- To take the environment into consideration when sourcing goods and suppliers, favouring more environmentally friendly and energy efficient products where possible.
- To provide an environmental responsibility briefing for those involved in volunteering/attending our events.
- To work towards implementing an environmental policy and to report yearly on progress.