Area Manager Development – £51,667
Area Manager B – £56,685 (plus 20% FDS allowance)
Closing Date: 12 midnight 21st April 2020
Location: Various across Greater Manchester (territorial and functional)
We are inviting applications from individuals interested in future vacancies at Area Manager level in Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is one of the largest Fire and Rescue Services outside London with over 2,100 members of staff (including volunteers) and 41 fire stations. We cover an area of approximately 500 square miles and a culturally diverse population of 2.7 million people.
Our purpose is to save, protect and improve the quality of life of the people in Greater Manchester and we are seeking individuals who can contribute to shaping the direction of the Service whilst providing leadership to key departments, to achieve continuous organisational, service and performance improvement.
You will be an existing substantive Area Manager or Group Manager, with:
· Experience and demonstrable evidence of successful performance when working at Middle Manager level in more than one department and discipline
· Demonstrable evidence and experience of managing Strategic Partnership
· Demonstrable experience of leading & delivering change and improvement in a complex organisation
· Maintained and documented competence in Incident Command at the appropriate level (Area Manager or Group Manager)
· A minimum of 12 months experience as a Group Manager (permanent)
· A minimum of 12 months experience as a Flexi Duty System Officer (permanent) within the last two years
· A commitment to provide a base within the County of Greater Manchester when providing operational cover
· IFE Level 4 in Fire Science, Fire Safety & Fire Operations (or equivalent)
· SFJ Level 6 in Advanced Incident Command in Fire and Rescue Services (or equivalent)
Existing Group Managers will enter GMFRS as an Area Manager in Development, during this time you will have access to our development pool and to temporary Area Manager vacancies (paid at AM Development pay). Once development areas have been met you will then be validated as competent for a permanent Area Manager position.
Our opportunities will be both varied and exceptionally challenging. You will be working in a fast moving pressurised environment where delivery and results really matter. But more than that, you will be making a real difference, at a strategic level, to the safety of the communities of Greater Manchester.
For further information about GMFRS, please visit our website
If you would like further information we will be holding a session where you can meet some of the Corporate Leadership Team (CLT) in advance of the process. Further details will be shared with those who are successful past the application stage.
The GMCA is an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment and/or change in gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
GMFRS champions inclusivity and one of the ways we do this is via our active support of the following staff networks and developments:
– The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies Network
– The Black, Asian Minority Ethnic Network
– The Dis-abilities Network
– The Women’s Network
This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and will require disclosure of all convictions including those considered spent under the Act. The role holder will be subject to an Enhanced level check by the Disclosure & Barring Service.
To apply for this job please visit gmcajobs.engageats.co.uk.